Island Ecology in the Bahamas
A Teacher-Directed Field Study for Students
A Professional Development Program
Terra is happy to announce a unique partnership with the Gerace Research Center
(GRC) in San Salvador, Bahamas.
The GRC is a center of studies for Marine Biology, Geology, and Archaeology located on the island of San Salvador, approximately an hour and a half flight from Miami. Typically, the center caters to undergraduate programs and research, but in cooperation with Terra will now be actively working with high school groups.
This field experience will be your first step in setting up a regular experience for your students on San Salvador. It will involve a one week in-service workshop at the field station. During your training you can expect the following:
- A guide to booking and setting up the trip with Terra
- Training and materials to recruit students
- Guidance and materials to teach an academic program
- Twice daily snorkeling trips to select sites on the island
- Cultural experiences
Participating teachers will leave this experience fully equipped to set up and run a
trip confidently and professionally.
The training will be carried out by George Wolfe who has taken yearly trips to San Salvador since 1975 with as many as 62 students. George will walk you through every step of the process, from booking to dive site selection. Days will be spent in the field, evenings will be spent in the classroom, mirroring the trip as it will be run for students.
Thanks to partial funding by the GRC, Terra is able to offer this experience for the
cost of $1000.00. This will cover all of the following:
- Round Trip airfare from your home airport to San Salvador
- Room and Board while on the island
- Suggested materials to use in recruitment, pre-trip orientation for families
- Academic materials to use while on the island
- Certificate of Completion for in-service credit and possible reimbursement
from the school district. (Terra will accept payment from school districts if
they are paying).
For more information, please email Rick Beal at firstname.lastname@example.org